World Class Delivery to Indian Consumers: Reliance JIO
Chosen as Asia’s Most Promising Brands, Reliance JIO is taking the world by storm. A venture from India’s biggest brand Reliance, JIO delivers world-class service to India.
Annual Turnover (2017-2018): Rs 23,714 Cr
Current Overall Brand Rank (India’s Strongest Brands, WCRC 500): 76
Jio is the largest telecom company in India (in terms of adjusted gross revenue), it commands highest ARPU (average revenue per user) in the Indian telecom industry.
What is your brand proposition?
Delivering world class service to Indian consumers at most affordable price
What is the brand image that the company wants to portray to its target group?
Jio means ‘to live’, the three letter word signifies freedom to live a worry free digital life. Jio continues to bring world class products and services to Indian consumers. Customers enjoy these products at the most affordable prices. Jio brand echoes with its customers as a trusted brand which is driving digital revolution in India.
What according to you are the five competitive brands in the country and in Asia in your category?
A) Airtel, B) Vodafone Idea, c) BSNL
Consumer perception of your brand
Consumer centric innovative brand
In the past 12 months what branding and marketing activities has been undertaken by your company to enhance the visibility, recall and acceptability of the brand?
Some of the major marketing campaigns undertaken in the last 12 months are:
- Celebrating 250 Mn customers on Jio network
- JioPhone for Mahakumbh campaign – launched as app on JioPhone for devotees attending Mahakumbh
- JioPostpaid campaign – launch of India’s best postpaid plan with many first in India features
- JioCinema Disney campaign – JioCinema users can now enjoy movies and shows from Disney including Marvel movies
Major Achievements in the last 3 years
- In two years, Jio has overtaken decades old incumbent to become leader in Revenue Market Share (measured by Adjusted Gross Revenue). Jio has the highest Average Revenue Per User (ARPU) among all the Indian operators
- It is the fastest growing Telecom company in India
- It has been consistently rated as fastest mobile network by TRAI
Jio has been recognized at multiple national and international forums for its brand positioning, products and service.
Current digital strategy
Being India’s largest digital company, Jio follows a digital first strategy. Be it consumer facing processes, or customer support, or employee life cycle management, all the journey maps are digitally defined. Jio was first to introduce eKYC based onboarding and it was also first to start digital KYC based onboarding.
What innovative measures the brand has taken to reach consumer digitally?
- Digital Interactive campaigns – Through Jio Engage, Jio started a new era in digital marketing in India. Unlike earlier uni-directional campaigns, Jio Engage provides a bi-directional communication ability to reach out to customers in a real time and interactive manner. The powerful AI based solution support real time interaction ability over a video call.
- TV & Mobile Convergence – Bringing together two most popular entertainment sources in India – TV and Mobile. Through Jio Cricket Play Along campaign, Jio customers could sync their mobile application to live TV match. Customers’ could enjoy interactive application which ran in tune with the content running on live TV.
4G Powered mobile devices – To empower millions of Indian which had been deprived of access to digital technology, Jio launched India’s most affordable smartphone – JioPhone. The 4G powered phone came at an effective price of Rs 0. Through JioPhone millions of Indian joined the digital brandwagon.
Reliance Jio: ASIA’S MOST PROMISING BRANDS
Reliance Jio Infocomm, popularly known in India as Jio, launched its service on 5th September 2016. In a short span of 30 months, it has not only revolutionized India telecom industry but has also brought Indian digital ecosystem on a world stage. Jio works on the philosophy of bringing world class products and service to Indian customers at extremely affordable prices. The international mobile broadband landscape was dominated by US and European companies. However, digital revolution in India and China has propelled companies in these countries to stand among the leading companies in the world.
Prior to launch of Jio, India ranked a dismal 155th in terms of mobile data consumption. By end of 2017, driven by Jio, India become world leader in mobile data consumption, surpassing countries like US and China. It has been a path breaker on multiple parameters, not only in India, but even on global stage. Jio added 100 million subscribers in 170 days, the fastest achieved by any technology company in the world. In less than 30 months of its launch, Jio is all set to become a 300 Mn strong family.
Unlike traditional telecom companies which focuses on voice and data communication, Jio has positioned itself as a complete digital company. Its products and services aims to touch every aspect of digital life of customer from communication, to entertainment, to travel and more. At Jio, we understand the unique realities of Asian sub-continent, where a large population still lives in digital poverty. We believe that giving digital access at the right price would result in betterment of a very large section of society. A recent study by Institute of Competitiveness pointed to $10 billion for Indian consumers because of Jio’s entry in telecom. Econometric analysis in the same study shows that through widespread network effects, Jio’s entry would boost India’s GDP by about 5.65 percent, if everything else in the economy remains constant.
Major awards and recognition for Jio
Reliance Jio has been ranked as the top company globally on Fortune’s ‘Change the World’ list 2018
Reliance Jio is ranked 17th amongst the Top 50 Most Innovative Companies in the world by Fast Company, 2018
Reliance Jio is ranked as 5th Strongest telecom brand in the world by BrandFinance
Jio ranked as India’s Top Most Innovative Company by Fast Company, 2018
Disclaimer: Asia’s Most Promising Brands is a property of WCRC INT+. All secondary, primary, direct and online research is a property of ibrands 360. Ethical standards suggest that WCRC INT+ will not disclose any research material to any competition other individuals in the industry. Similarly no company is authorized to share research data with any company/individual without the prior consent of WCRC INT+. WCRC INT+ holds the rights to discontinuation of research of any brand on violation of terms and conditions. This research is a confidential document only between the referred brand and WCRC INT+.